Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Contemplation on Writing Group


I've been in this writing group for just over a year now.  I made an attempt to check the date, and I believe the first meeting I attended was July 6, 2011.  I had made a decision to get a little more serious with my writing, and knew one of the first things I had to do was get some extra eyes on my work.  
I poked around online, and found a few local groups.  My thought was that I'd attend a couple groups and feel out which one fit me and my needs best.  I got a little lucky; there happened to be one group meeting in a few days, and their website had no indication of a membership fee.  They also met up at Borders, not 15 minutes from where I work, and I'm not one to turn down an excuse for coffee, nor the chance to peruse the book store.  
I never checked on those other groups.
The people in that group were pleasant and welcoming, and though members have come and gone, the group remains this way at its core.  I have to admit that when I went home the first night, I had trepidation about returning--I told my wife they were a little "too nice" to my work.  I'd like to say something pompous here, that maybe my work was just that good, that it didn't need criticism--in person I probably would, but only because in person you'd see my body language that tells you that I don't really believe that.  Maybe they were being nice to the new guy, maybe it happened to be one of my better chapters, but I can tell you, I've had some bad sessions since.  I've taken in chapters that went over flatly, received the opposite reaction I intended, and had one instance where I completely questioned my understanding of basic grammar.  
The feedback I receive is well and good, but honestly I might receive comparable feedback elsewhere.  I think the main reason this group works for me is that I trust these people.  I trust that they're helping me, and more importantly, I trust them with my work.  I know that several of these people have taken my work home to look at, because I gave it to them.  If they don't clean out their email, they probably have a full 45,000 word novella in a digital format, and I don't think for a second that one of them would do something I wouldn't want them to.  For me, that is the most valuable thing I've found in this writing group.
 LR

No comments:

Post a Comment